Crafty Penguins – Site Reliability Engineer / DevOps / Linux
We need an engineer who knows Linux inside and out, can cook up a SaltStack formula, push an AWS server, monitor Nagios/Shinken, manage Proxmox clusters, diagnose little problems and solve them across multiple systems without needing another engineer to hold their hands. Staring at IBM blade network drivers and recompiling them with a fix enabled should sound like fun to you!
If you haven't done Devops/SRE work specifically yet, but have solid Linux and scripting/programming experience and want to explore this opportunity further, we would love to speak with you. Learning quickly with great attitude and team fit is generally more important then what you know!
Site Reliability Engineers (SRE) are software engineers that focus on reliability, scalability, and the development of cloud computing infrastructure. SREs develop, maintain and operate software that automates the traditional roles of the system administrator at large scale, such as configuration and cluster management systems, and that support reliability and scalability goals, including container virtualization and the systems architecture of microservices.
About Crafty Penguins
We are the Linux/SRE/DevOps team at Kerkhoff Technologies Inc. Based in Chilliwack and founded 10 years ago, we service companies both locally and around the world. See http://www.kerkhofftech.ca and http://www.craftypenguins.net for more info.
What does it take to do this job?
- Advanced knowledge of Linux operating systems, preferably Debian
- Expertise configuring and troubleshooting Apache, NGINX, and HAProxy
- Supporting diverse database systems
- Supporting various support services like DNS, DHCP, AMPQ brokers, SMTP, SNMP, LDAP, SSH, etc.
- Experience scripting in at least two of the following languages: Python, Bash
- Expertise with configuration management systems such as Saltstack (preferred), Puppet, Ansible, and/or Chef
- Experience with package management systems for various Linux operating systems including package creation
- Experience with virtualized environments (KVM or Xen or ESX)
- Experience with container virtualized environments like LXC (Docker), OpenVZ
- Hands-on experience with cloud environments such as AWS, CloudStack, or OpenStack
- Intermediate knowledge of networking and load-balancing concepts
- Experience with monitoring systems, such as Nagios, Sensu, Shinken
- Experience collecting and aggregating log data (Like ELK Stack)
- Experience collecting and aggregating metric data (Collectd, Graphana, etc.)
- Experience with Cassandra or other NoSQL databases is a plus
- Experience working with Docker containers and Kubernetes is a plus
- Experience with general software engineering principals and working with diverse programming languages.
- Be part of on-call rotation
- Ability to write clear and thorough documentation
- Be a passionate about and committed to life long self improvement on all of the above.
- Base salary based on experience, skills, and knowledge
- Participation in company net profit sharing plan
- Acquisition bonus plan available for any clients transitioned to the company.
- Extended Health & Dental including MSP premiums
- Flexible work environment
Other Details and Requirements
- This is a fulltime position in our Chilliwack BC office.
- Reliable vehicle and valid BC driver's license required.
- Do NOT apply unless a Fraser Valley resident or willing to relocate
- Please include brief cover letter with your resume.
- Any applications without the word "Pineapple" in subject will be discarded.
Email cover letter & resume to: HR [at] kerkhofftech.ca