I came across this recent blog post on OpenSource.com about the Top 10 Grafana Features. We too love Grafana of course (blog post). it’s amazing that for a project that’s under 7 years old already has over a 1/2 million installations!
Here are the top features of Grafana that we use ourselves, or help our customers implement:
- Dashboard templating: This lets us create reusable dashboards. For example, we can have a dashboard about a particular business unit, or customer, or a server. With a simple drop-down selection on the top, that customer/server/etc name can be switched and all the graphs on that dashboard are updated. They can also be dynamic, based on SQL data for example.
- Provisioning: In some cases, we automate the dashboard setup using scripts. This lets us easily setup new Grafana dashboard servers without manually creating all the dashboards manually.
- Kiosk mode and playlists: We have multiple LCD monitors in our office, that show graphs in the so-called “Kiosk” mode and sometimes as a rotating playlist. Stop by and check it out or see if you can spot them in our open house pictures on our blog, LinkedIn or Google Map profile!
- SQL data sources: We graph many business metrics (Sales, marketing, revenue, invoicing, etc) using a SQL data source from our Connectwise system.
- Custom plugins: We have written custom plugins for Prometheus to extract data from external systems, which Grafana may not support natively.